Review of The Google Way
The Google Way by Bernard
Girard is available from NoStarch Press. In a nutshell, this book
belongs on your bookshelf and is easily worth 5 stars out of 5.
In the author's words:
Google's repeated successes have created genuine enigmas for anyone interested in management strategy. To summarize just a few:
* Google has never spent a cent on advertising.
* The public is welcome to criticize the company.
* Google has no qualms about breaking every managerial rule in the book, refusing to observe even the most elementary marketing practices.
* For a long time, Google paid developers less than the competition--yet the company has attracted the best employees and kept them longer.
Thanks to the author's clear and engaging style, you don't have to understand, or even think that you are interested in, management theory to enjoy this book. He covers a lot of ground, including:
* why most triumvirates fail where Google's succeeds
* why California is an ideal environment for serial entrepreneurs
* the OpenIPO bidding system
* how Google revolutionized making money from ads
* Google's management and sales strategies
* how Google nurtures a culture of innovation
* Google's recruitment and retention strategies
* how Google uses the gift economy and reputation based models
* the advantage of using a Swiss army knife product strategy
It has been a while since I've read a review copy twice-through. This is a book that provides many lessons and one that I will refer to often.
- The Google Way: A Book Review (And a Chance to Win!) (Linsey Knerl , Wise Bread, 9 June 2009)
- The Google Way: How One Company is Revolutionizing Management As We Know It (James Pyles, A Million Chimpanzees, 13 May 2009)
- Book Review: The Google Way by Bernard Girard (Loyd E. Eskildson, , 29 May 2009)
- Review of The Google Way (Dru, Toolbox for IT, 27 May 2009)
- The Google Way (James Pyles, Google Blogscoped, 14 May 2009)
- The Google Way: How One Company is Revolutionizing Management As We Know It (Berislav Kucan, Help Net Security, 15 July 2009)
- "The Google Way," by Bernard Girard (Jacquelyn Daane, Management Book Reviews, 2009. 04. 12.)